Saturday, March 28, 2009

Knitting Cables

This picture shares my progress on the Aran Afghan I've started for the new grandbaby who is due in October. I'm using Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash wool in a generic ecru. I am not the fastest cable knitter but now that I've found my rhythm it is coming along nicely. Finished size is 34x40" so not overly daunting. I wanted to share the 3 different cable needles I have in my knitting bag of goodies and notions. My newest acquisition are the ivory straight cable needles and I absolutely love them! Where the ones next to them have a "well" in them to hold your stitches in the back or front, I find them awkward to knit off of. You have to move the stitches up out of that well and to the end of the needle. The gold "hook" cable laying there is a little better in that the stitches easily slide to the end for knitting when you're ready for them. But I'm always getting myself "hooked" in the hook, LOL! So after seeing these straight cable needles used on a knitting show I ran right out in search of them. This is the first cable project I've done since buying them and they are making all the difference for me. It is such a smooth transition and I won't avoid cable patterns anymore. So if you avoid cables or just aren't happy with your cable needles, give these a try and see if they make a happy difference in your knitting like they have mine. Have a great Saturday!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Lovely so far....it looks so soft and reminds me of my grandmother. She was a fantastic knitter. We would buy yarn, give it to her in November and while in Arizona for the winter she would knit. When she returned in April we had a finished afghan....I really miss her.

Pat said...

BEAUTIFUL work so far, Val. Being a self-taught knitter (and only recently at that), I can't do anything as sophisticated as this. This is going to be a very special blanket for a very special baby!